Submitted by ewng on Mon, 10/10/2016 - 22:01
The Third Young Researchers Meeting takes place this week at DESY, Zeuthen. The first day will feature training in scientific writing led by Beverley Moore and Russell Huby of Writing Point Ltd. The sessions will cover topics such as
- What makes communication effective, and why science writing so often fails to communicate well.
- How splitting your work into four stages streamlines the writing process and produces better results.
- How to use outlining to create a clear structure.
- Why the more complex the topic, the greater the need for straightforward language.
- How to measure and improve readability.
- Why vagueness and ambiguity are common in science writing, and how to avoid both these problems.